CSR / Sustainability
At FOSS, CSR/Sustainability is deeply rooted in our philosophy as well as our vision and values. For us, it means conducting business in a manner which benefits stakeholders such as employees, customers, suppliers, society, and the local community.
Environmental and social benefits
Many of the analytical instruments we produce have environmental and societal benefits.
For example, our technology can be used to:
- Improve crop yields and increase food production by indicating when the most optimal time would be for a farmer to harvest
- Determine the right amount of fertilizer to apply to fields thereby mitigating impact to the environment
- Ensure the health and welfare of farm animals
- Help make the best possible use of valuable raw materials during the food production process by reducing wastage
- Ensure the quality of a wide variety of food products
In our work we use the United Nations Global Compact, the world’s largest voluntary corporate sustainability initiative, as our framework. FOSS has taken a business-driven approach to this area, that is, we work strategically on the issues that are of critical importance to the success of our business as well as our stakeholders - utilizing the Compact’s ten principles in the areas of human rights, labour, the environment and anti-corruption as a starting point.
The FOSS management board has overall responsibility for the strategy and direction of the program. Regional and functional management, with support from the CSR/Sustainability team, are responsible for ensuring that the strategy is communicated and embedded within the organisation.
Our commitment to CSR/Sustainability
In March 2012, FOSS became a signatory of the UN Global Compact. As a participant, we are committed to developing an annual Communication on Progress (COP) report against the Compact’s ten principles. This report is intended to provide a transparent overview of our performance against the principles, as well as progress made against our objectives.