New European standard for determination of crude fat and total fat content in cereals, cereal based products and animal feed stuffs
An ISO standard developed on the basis of the FOSS Soxtec system and an associated application note has also been approved as a European standard.
The previously published ISO 11085:2008 “Cereals, cereal based products and animal feeding stuffs – Determination of crude fat and total fat content by the Randall extraction method” was approved by the CEN member states in July.
The approval as a European standard has positive implications for trade. A common standard for crude and total fat can now be used for labeling purposes for cereals (food & feed), cereal based products and animal feedstuffs. The standard has the potential for worldwide recognition pending an ongoing review by the AOAC.
The ISO 11085 2008 standard was developed to reflect progress made within fat and total fat analysis and has now replaced the ISO 7302 standard which was more cumbersome to apply.
SoxCap™ validation study
A report on a validation study for the FOSS SoxCap™ system is available using the article download button on this page. The report gives details about how the FOSS SoxCap system was validated against the ISO 11085 standard by an international inter-laboratory test running the same samples simultaneously with the ISO 11085 validation study.
The new EN ISO 11085:2008 standard will soon be published and will be available for order via www.iso.org or national standardization bodies.
A paper describing the use of the SoxCap in connection with the ISO 11085 standard was published in the FOSS In Focus magazine, no. 1, 2007 and can be downloaded here (links to a pdf article 250 kb).
Related SoxCap application notes available on request from local FOSS representatives:
AN 3907: Determination of crude or total fat in Cereals and Cereal products in agreement with ISO/FDIS 11085 using Soxtec extraction systems or SoxCapTM 2047 in combination with Soxtec extraction systems
AN 3005: Extraction of crude or total fat in Cereals and Cereal products according to ISO/FDIS 11085 using Soxtec extraction systems or Hydrolyzing Unit 1047 in combination with Soxtec extraction systems
Officially approved methods followed by the Soxtec system
The Soxtec systems follow officially approved methods:
· AOAC 2003.05 & 2003.06 Crude fat in Feed, Cereal Grain and Forage (Diethyl-ether and hexane extraction methods)
· AOAC 991.36 Fat (Crude) in Meat and Meat products
· ISO 1444:1996 Meat and Meat products – Determination of free fat content
· EPA 3541 Extraction of PCB in soil and sludge
· SCAN-CM 49:93: Acetone soluble matter
· SCAN-CM 67:03: Extractable, lipophilic matter in Paper Pulp
· EN ISO 11085:2008 Cereals, cereals-based products and animal feeding stuffs — Determination of crude fat and total fat content by the Randall extraction method
· EN ISO 6492:1999 Animal feeding stuff – Determination of fat content
More information about Soxtec, click